Felicity Flynn Piano Tuition
Piano Lessons for Adults
Piano Lessons for Adults
Technical proficiency, a solid theoretical understanding and emotional sensitivity are the building blocks for musical artistry.
Felicity teaches all levels, including beginning adults so it is never too late to learn. She understands that starting a new instrument later on in life can be daunting for some, as she was faced with the same very challenges having commenced singing lessons in her early 20's. She strongly values patience, persistence, acceptance, optimism and reflective, independent thinking and leads by example. Her continued warm, caring and friendly personality will help you feel right at home.
Felicity is mindful that with heavy work demands, managing time to practice can be difficult. Felicity can also advise you on some additional techniques that you can use away from the piano when you have a spare moment, although it is not a substitute for practice at the instrument, it may improve your results and retention.
A core element of the student’s musical development is establishing a sound technique that incorporates total body awareness and uses the various parts of the body harmoniously with each other. Felicity understands that a whole body approach to the playing of piano is necessary to play comfortably and confidently, not just an emphasis on the fingers and hands. A solid technical foundation is necessary in order to:
- relieve undesirable tension and prevent resultant pain and injury
- allow access to more expressive and musical possibilities at the piano
- provides a stronger sense of security, control and freedom at the piano which may assist with managing the symptoms of performance anxiety
At the same time, Felicity understands that each student is unique and, with that knowledge, adapts techniques and fingerings to suit varying hand shapes and spans and applies different strategies and exercises to assist with acquiring the new techniques and implementing them into their repertoire.
MUSIC THEORY AND STYLISTIC KNOWLEDGE
Another essential part of the student's development is forming a solid knowledge and understanding of the theoretical framework that underlies a piece of music and the conventions of that style so they can make more informed interpretative decisions.
AURAL/SIGHT READING SKILLS
Felicity combines the development of aural and sight reading skills so that students can learn to play by ear or by notation. Aural skills will also give you a deeper appreciation of the music that you are playing and more expressive control over the sounds that you make at the piano. Felicity places importance on being able to identify notes individually, not just by a specific hand position but also helps students recognise melodic, rhythmic, intervallic and harmonic patterns in the music to assist with becoming a proficient sight reader.
At this stage, students should have established an understanding of the type(s) of repertoire that satisfies their musical tastes and more attention will be given to these preferred musical styles.
But above all music should be fun, and whether you are wanting to play for leisure or complete formal exams, Felicity will help you achieve your goals.
- Play music that inspires you and learn from a dedicated and friendly teacher who is committed to helping you achieve your goals
- Express yourself freely and confidently using a solid, dependable whole body approach to technique
- Develop a deeper appreciation of the music you play with a solid theoretical base including an understanding of form, harmony, key and modulation, sequences etc.
- Learn the tricks to becoming a proficient sight reader, including the ability to recognise harmonic, melodic, rhythmic and intervallic patterns in addition to identifying notes anywhere on the stave
- Memorise a piece of music effectively for a performance or exam through mental play, applying essential practice techniques, analysis and incorporating the different types of memory (including tactile, visual, aural and cognitive)